Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Man in Wheelchair Considered a Fire-Hazard | Wheelchair Accessibility Blog and Disability News

Richard Bryne, 37, an Australian, was forced to leave a Sunshine Coast cinema “Noosa 5 Cinemas” because he was told his wheelchair was a “fire hazard”. Richard and his mother set off on December 26th to go see the new movie Chronicles of Narnia, where he parked his chair off to the side towards the rear of the theater. For the past 15 years he has been going to the movies in his wheelchair after a surfing accident that left him with a metal plate in his neck and paralyzed from the waist down.

When the movie started, an employee approached him and asked him to move down to the front of the theater or he could leave. Richard stated, “I told the usher I could not sit in the designated disabled seating at the front of the cinema because of the metal plate in my neck.”

Richard continued, “I explained that I can’t look directly upwards and this is where I always sit.” After conversing with Richard, the usher went to discuss the situation with management. To Richard’s surprise, management agreed with the usher in that the chair was a fire hazard because it blocked the isles. Richard told them, “People could still easily get past me and that my mom was right here, ready to help move me if needed.”

“They did not listen and said I would have to go if I didn’t move. I was left with no option but to leave.”

Full Article
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment